Gesammelte Twitter-Nachrichten von Klimaforscher Peter Kalmus
Peter Kalmus ist nicht nur amerikanischer NASA-Klimawissenschaftler und Vater von zwei Kindern, sondern erregt auch durch seinen Klimaaktivismus in Form von zivilem Widerstand Aufsehen. Als Klimaforscher weiß er besonders, was auf uns zukommt und kann dabei nicht mehr ruhig bleiben.
Daher ist er auch Mitglied der Scientist Rebellion, einem Netzwerk von etwa 1000 Wissenschaftlern aus rund 30 Ländern. „We are currently heading directly towards civilizational collapse. We need to switch into climate emergency mode as a society. As scientists we have tried writing reports and giving presentations about the climate and ecological crisis to those in power.“
„We must now have the humility to accept these attempts have not worked. Now is the time for us to take action, so that we show how seriously we take our warnings.“
„As a climate scientist, I am terrified by what I see coming. Global warming is happening with a rapidity that leaves me speechless.“
Peter Kalmus hat auch ein Buch geschrieben: „Being the Change: Live Well and Spark a Climate Revolution“ What can one being – you – do about global warming?
Wir lieben seine „prägnanten“ aufrüttelnden Statements auf Twitter und haben sie hier gesammelt. Die Medien berichten ja nach wie vor viel zu wenig klar und wir zerstreuen uns nach wie vor mit Belanglosigkeiten, anstatt dass wir alle zügig konsequenten Klimaschutz leben und fordern.
Twitter – Juli 2023:
- 28.07.2023: Fossil fuels are causing global heating and irreversibly taking down our planet, and yet in a climate speech yesterday Biden didn’t even mention fossil fuels.
- 27.07.2023: The mistake was being too polite.
- 27.07.2023: It’s both sad, and hopeful, to see „global boiling“ trending. Sad that humanity ignored scientists for so long and let it get to this point. Hopeful that the social tipping point we’ve been waiting for for decades is about to get here. Because maybe some of them suddenly realize we risk losing everything.
- 27.07.2023: In this epoch of global boiling it’s disappointing that a-list celebrities are not pushing Biden to declare a climate emergency or doing much of anything other than flying in their private jets. This is it folks – this is not a drill.
- 27.07.2023: No matter how much we’ve lost, it will never be too late to fight. We must set aside differences and fight together. Soon, all but the greatest fools among us will realize that nothing was more important.
- 24.07.2023: Once people are more afraid of accelerating global heating and Earth breakdown than they are of how their peers will judge them for speaking and acting out against social norms, then we may finally get meaningful action. It’s sad this is what it takes.
- 21.07.2023: If I can speak freely, I am feeling quite angry at the „moderate“ climate scientists and activists who have tried to marginalize me and others as „alarmist“ over the years.
- 21.07.2023: If you haven’t done any sort of climate activism yet, please do. (Recycling, driving an EV, getting solar panels, composting, etc. – while ok things – are NOT climate activism).
- 21.07.2023: My fellow climate activists, I know you’re tired. I know you’re frustrated. I know you’re feeling so much anger and grief. At some point you’ll be seen as heroes. It’s not why you do it, but it will signify the social shift and make life easier. Keep going!
- 21.07.2023: I am concerned people are already normalizing climate catastrophe.
- 19.07.2023: A lot of people still think recycling will stop Earth breakdown. What a load of shit. Almost like fossil fuel people wanted people to think this. The only thing that can stop global heating is ending the fossil fuel industry.
- 18.07.2023: The fact that private jets are still a thing makes me want to scream.
- 18.07.2023: Whenever you see some mainstream or NGO-type thing about „ways to protect people from the heat“ or whatever, know that the ONLY thing that will help, long-term, is ending the fossil fuel industry. Faster we do, more lives we save. All other „solutions“ are essentially distraction.
- 18.07.2023: Most people STILL don’t know what peril they are in. This will be the coolest summer for the rest of your life, and that shouldn’t be just a meme – it should be actually terrifying. The ONLY path out of this heat nightmare is to end fossil fuels ASAP.
- 18.07.2023: There will always be regional and interannual variation, but in an average sense, heat trends mean this will be the coolest summer for a long time. IF society went into climate emergency mode it’s possible the planet would start to cool by the end of the century.
- 12.07.2023: Climate deniers are fucking idiotic. They repeat dumb-ass things ad nauseam like “CO2 is plant food.” That’s like saying a meteor about to destroy Earth “won’t hurt the sun.” Pure logical fallacy.
- 10.07.2023: Make no mistake: these floods, heat domes, fires, and smoke events are still just the barest beginning of Earth breakdown, and the damage is effectively irreversible. You have fossil fuel executives to thank; they chose this. In my opinion, billions of human lives are at risk.
- 10.07.2023: Everywhere I go, I overhear conversations about airplane trips people have recently taken or are about to take. But I almost never overhear conversations about global heating and Earth breakdown.
- 10.07.2023: I know most people are aware that global heating is a thing, and they may even be concerned about it, but it’s no wonder it’s such a low-priority concern. I really don’t think people know what’s coming. I’ve been pitching op-eds to NYT to try to wake people up, with no success.
- 10.07.2023: Somehow, reporters have to start reporting this differently. It’s become a low-key background sound that people have gotten used to ignoring, when in fact it’s an emergency poised to end human civilization on Earth as we know it. I don’t know what it will take. Sigh
- 09.07.2023: Reminder that oil corporations have known since the 1970s that they were irreversibly destroying Spaceship Earth. They could have chosen to be part of the solution, transitioning to becoming energy corporations and ending fossil fuels. Instead, they chose to lie and block action.
- 09.07.2023: They are still doing so today. Right now. The people involved deserve to be in prison, and the corporations need to lose their social license to exist.
- 09.07.2023: This was and is a CHOICE that some very awful humans have and are making. Reporters need to stop using the passive voice. It’s not that the planet „is heating up.“ It’s that these awful people chose to lead us all into fossil fueled hell on Earth, just to get a little more money.
- 09.07.2023: Never forget that they KNEW precisely what they were doing, every step of the way. And they know today, and still choose to continue taking down the only planet in the universe known to support life. Once you realize this is literally what’s happening it’s breathtaking.
- 06.07.2023: Why hasn’t Biden declared a climate emergency?
- 06.07.2023: It feels to me like the climate may have shifted into some sort of new regime of global heating that scientists don’t yet understand. Because of fossil fuels. And yet the media and everyone keep acting like things are basically fine and leaders keep expanding fossil fuels.
- 06.07.2023: and those in power seek ever bigger punishments for the few climate activists doing everything they can to stop it, and most of society joins them in ridicule. I never imagined things could get to this point.
- 06.07.2023: I feel like I certainly don’t fully understand what’s going on with the crazy climate data this summer. But I understand what the fossil fuel industry is still doing, and incredibly brazenly – for example COP 28 is literally being run by a fossil fuel CEO.
- 06.07.2023: If we let fossil fuel executives stay in charge of everything, we are completely fucked.
- 05.07.2023: Monday was the hottest day ever recorded on Earth. And it’s only getting hotter and hotter. End the idiotic fossil fuel industry.
- 05.07.2023: Oil executives are among the stupidest and most evil humans ever to exist. And the hotter our planet gets the more I realize that the essence of evil is stupidity.
- 04.07.2023: There is nothing so stupid as climate denial.
- 04.07.2023: I recall going to the Occupy LA camp, day after day for hours, talking to people and trying to get them to care about climate breakdown. I couldn’t. We’ve made a ton of progress since then but we still have a long way to go – most people still don’t get what danger we’re all in.
- 04.07.2023: Always remember that this irreversible damage to Earth’s habitability is a crime still being perpetrated even now by fossil fuel executives, who are lying, distracting, and bribing to block any significant action. We risk losing everything. Fight them!
Twitter – Juni 2023:
- 29.06.2023: Please keep in mind that this damage to the Earth system and its ability to sustain life is irreversible on human timescales, and that this summer will be the coolest for the rest of your life.
- 28.06.2023: I never thought we’d still be in climate denial as a society at this point. Turns out I was optimistic. I’m deeply disappointed in our society, in our political system, in both garbage corporate parties, in the Biden admin which is a big part of the problem despite knowing better.
- 27.06.2023: Dear activists, keep going. The social landscape is changing fast. Just a couple years ago we were only getting nibbles with our activist projects, now we are routinely getting „hell yes!“ And support and prioritize civil disobedience.
- 21.06.2023: This may sound harsh, but ongoing intensifying crazy-bad climate impacts and willful blocking of climate action by rich corporatists is a way, way, WAY more important story than the 5 people in the sightseeing submarine.
- 21.06.2023: One of the hardest things for me is knowing how crazy hot it’s getting, record ice melt and ocean temperatures and off-the-charts heat waves, and hearing all the airplanes still flying overhead. We must start treating this as an emergency.
- 21.06.2023: Activists from all issues, please join in the fight to stop climate breakdown. No planet, no justice. Also, climate activists, understand that the climate movement must now merge with the labor movement. I’m pretty sure it’s the only way.
- 21.06.2023: Capitalists hold the power, most unfortunately, and they respond to just two things: threats to their capital, and withholding of labor.
- 21.06.2023: No marches, no petitions, no letters to members of congress who have been purchased by the capitalists will work because this is not a culture issue. Do not waste energy on such distractive tactics. As much as I love a good march, they don’t work to stop climate breakdown.
- 21.06.2023: We need the climate movement to become a working class movement that transcends the culture issues. We need farmers to join with city workers. This can’t stay a middle class issue. Without directly addressing working class needs, and joining against the capitalists, we lose.
- 21.06.2023: Few groups of people are more face to face with the ravages of fossil-fueled global heating on a daily basis than farmers.
- 16.06.2023: I am truly afraid of what global heating has in store for us all. And those who aren’t are fools. Telling people to stay calm, to not worry too much, at this point is so dangerous. Justified fear is what will move us into emergency mode and minimize the losses.
- 15.06.2023: Remember: this summer will be the coolest (or close to the coolest) for the rest of your life.
- 15.06.2023: The drumbeat of stunning, terrifying climate news of recent weeks will only intensify. going forward. The media needs to trumpet the fact that this is a CRIME by the fossil fuel industry.
- 15.06.2023: More people need to grasp the brutal reality of trends driven by physics. More fossil fuels = more heat. It’s brutal and non-negotiable. I can’t tell if the world leaders taking us so foolishly in the direction of more heat are just grossly ignorant, or worse.
- 13.06.2023: Whenever I look at the New York Times, with all its nice distractions, I get the eerie sense that the editors there still have absolutely no clue how much danger we are all in from global heating.
- 09.06.2023: This is as disgusting as it is possible to get, and yet, sadly, no surprise. The UN COP climate process has been completely infiltrated and co-opted by the evil, stupid fossil fuel elites, and this is why it fails year after year. [https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jun/07/uae-oil-firm-cop28-climate-summit-emails-sultan-al-jaber-adnoc]
- 08.06.2023: Journalists, please realize and deeply ponder that what we are experiencing on Earth is the real-time irreversible unraveling of habitability due to the sale and use of fossil fuels. And report accordingly.
- 08.06.2023: If you are still mad at climate protesters, I’m not sure what to tell you. „Climate Crisis Is on Track to Push One-Third of Humanity Out of Its Most Livable Environment“.
- 08.06.2023: What is wrong with people? How much more is it going to take?
- 07.06.2023: Smoke from hundreds of climate-intensified fires currently burning out of control across Canada is covering much of North America. It’s insanity that Biden is still expanding fossil fuels instead of declaring a climate emergency. Climate damage is effectively irreversible.
- 07.06.2023: Some denier pointed out that „climate-intensified fires“ isn’t quite right, to be an ass, but I actually agree. Not sure how best to say it – „wildfires in which anthropogenic climate change played a role in creating conditions conducive to their formation“ is kind of long.
- 07.06.2023: I have a headache from the smoke. I can’t get to sleep. I feel like humanity is failing an important test. It doesn’t feel like we are going in the right direction yet, away from fossil fuels, away from fighting and killing, toward love, toward others above self. It’s late.
- 07.06.2023: If you don’t think Earth breakdown is a problem, then of course you’d think climate activists aren’t being “respectful.” But to those of us who DO know just how much danger we’re all in they are the most respectful people on the planet.
- 05.06.2023: I can’t speak for all climate activists, but to me, it does feel like there’s not a lot of support in the mainstream, either within science or without. Society hasn’t shifted yet, and the headwinds are still against climate activists.
- 05.06.2023: And to those annoyed by climate activists, keep in mind that the alternative to being a climate activist is not being a climate activist, i.e. not pushing to stop climate change; and if no one pushes to stop it, it won’t stop very fast.
- 03.06.2023: I am quite certain that most people still have little idea what a serious emergency we’re now in. Based on their actions, this apparently includes President Biden and his team. Yes, Climate Twitter, a lot of you do know. But a large majority in the US and worldwide, do not.
- 03.06.2023: I don’t see how we can get meaningful change until the majority of people do know. I hate being a Cassandra and I’m against despair, but so much climate messaging seems designed to allow people to stay comfortably clueless. People need to KNOW, before society can move fast.
- 03.06.2023: We need to trust that people have the courage to know how bad things are, but use that knowledge to act. I think they do. It’s all going to come down to courage and compassion. It’s humanity’s cosmic test.
- 03.06.2023: 2 key strategic places the climate movement could go:
1 Connect to the labor movement;
2 Connect to farmers, who could become powerful voices of reason on the right.
Set labels aside. Earth breakdown isn’t a liberal problem, it’s an everyone problem.
- 02.06.2023: To all the institutions and non-profits who try to be „neutral“ on climate stuff: fucking pick a side already. If you’re „neutral“ at this point, you’re complicit.
- 02.06.2023: I don’t care whether or not you recycle. I care whether or not you stand against the rich fools who run the oil majors and airlines and banks and animal ag causing global heating and Earth breakdown, and the politicians doing nothing to stop them.
- 02.06.2023: I have a feeling this is going to be a crazy summer climate-wise.
- 02.06.2023: Climate activists are on the right side of history, those standing against them are on the wrong side. The increasing criminalization of climate protest reveals how politicians stand with the fossil fuel elites. Together they’re accelerating irreversible climate catastrophe.
- 01.06.2023: If evil is intentionally causing mass suffering and death and irreversibly destroying Earth’s habitability, then oil and gas corporations are evil, and the people who lead and defend them are among the most evil people on Earth. This will become increasingly apparent.
Twitter – Mai 2023:
- 31.05.2023: We are losing the war against the fossil fuel industry very badly, due largely to the fact that most people still don’t even know they’re in a war against the fossil fuel industry.
- 25.05.2023: Someday, people will look back on this time and wonder why the fuck we didn’t rise up against all these sociopathic billionaires and put them in prison or worse, and then get on with solving all the pressing problems we need to solve.
- 24.05.2023: Please wake up, conservatives. We can disagree about all kinds of things, but physics should not be one of them.
- 24.05.2023: Addressing climate change isn’t „woke.“ It’s survival.
- 20.05.2023: When there is not enough food, when all your money means nothing, you will wish you had listened to the climate acitivists.
- 11.05.2023: Always, always keep in mind that to halt this, we must end the fossil fuel industry. Nothing else will substitute for that. Don’t let them distract you with carbon offsets, carbon capture, fusion, or recycling.
- 11.05.2023: A few personal notes: I was just at a NASA team meeting for 3 days in DC. The scientific findings are so fucked up. Experts on tropical rainforests told me privately that they think the Amazon has already passed its tipping point. Let that sink in. The world needs to know.
- 11.05.2023: When I am at these scientific meetings, where basically every talk and poster is about precisely how Earth is rapidly breaking down, I just want to scream. I stood up and asked a question about this in front of everyone, though maybe too politely.
- 04.05.2023: Holding the Met Gala during the accelerating climate and ecological emergency and with all the other fucked up shit here in the US is dystopian as fuck.
- 02.05.2023: The 1% are killing the Earth. (Anm.: The rich)
- 01.05.2023: I’m disappointed more climate scientists aren’t speaking and acting out over Biden’s fossil fuel expansion, which goes directly against our science and irreversibly diminishes Earth’s ability to support human (and much nonhuman) life. Especially senior scientists. Be the adults.
Twitter – April 2023:
- 29.04.2023: This heat in April and what’s surely coming later this summer is still only a foretaste. Civil disobedience now to jumpstart climate emergency mode, end the fossil fuel industry, and save what can still be saved. The people in power still don’t get it.
- 28.04.2023: It’s depressing there are still so many idiot climate deniers despite the stunningly obvious nature of global heating and its impacts. I’m embarrassed for our species, dismayed by the inaction of our „leaders,“ and terrified for our future.
- 22.04.2023: The lack of ethics and the hypocrisy of so many of our institutions is absolutely stunning and this is just one example. Profits over the future of humanity and the Earth, even though they claim to care and they know exactly what they’re doing.
- 07.04.2023: Adapting to Earth breakdown is important, but we will only be able to adapt up to a point and we are already starting to surpass that point. A much more important call to action is to quickly end the dishonest and deadly fossil fuel industry – stop the damage and save all we can.
Twitter – März 2023:
- 22.03.2023: Governments are still expanding fossil fuels when science and reality both show we need to end them. This means that how fast we organize to protest, strike, and risk arrest will determine how fast we stop Earth breakdown and how much we save. It’s that simple.
- 22.03.2023: Corporations and governments are doing their damndest to repress and oppress Earth defenders, pushing Earth further and irreversibly toward an unlivable state. Stand up for climate activists and Earth defenders everywhere, even if they (gasp!) throw soup.
- 22.03.2023: The IPCC is screaming as loud as any group of scientists ever have. The White House is unwilling to declare climate emergency, end drilling, reform fossil fuel finance, or even keep campaign promises. Congress and the Supreme Court are half full of climate deniers. It’s up to us.
- 22.03.2023: At this point, we should all be protesting, striking, and even risking arrest to break through our governments‘ criminal inaction on climate. We risk losing everything.
- 21.03.2023: It’s quite something that the world’s top scientists put out a synthesis report that essentially says civilization as we know it will end unless the world comes together to stop rapidly expanding the fossil fuel industry but to instead rapidly end it, and almost no one cares.
- 21.03.2023: Cut off the bank financing of fossil fuel projects and you phase out the fossil fuel industry.
- 20.03.2023: And to scientists everywhere: PLEASE ALSO BE ACTIVISTS. Whatever that means for you. We are running out of time and losing the fight to stop Earth breakdown so, so badly. We NEED you. Desperately. I can’t say it any more plainly. We really need everyone, scientists, nonscientists.
- 17.03.2023: Anyone with common sense realizes the right thing to do is tax the rich. The problem is the rich are the ones who choose what tax they pay by corrupting the whole system. That’s capitalism.
- 16.03.2023: Fewer than 20% of the people on this planet have ever been on a plane, because over 80% can’t afford to fly, and they’ll bear the brunt of climate disasters caused in part by all the flying.
- 13.03.2023: It is a kind of societal insanity or collective sickness that we haven’t yet banned private jets.
- 13.03.2023: Man, I’m sorry but fuck the rich.
- 13.03.2023: A private jet ban would not solve global heating – there are obviously far bigger sectors of emissions – but it would be hugely significant in a symbolic sense. It would say we’re done letting the ultrarich destroy our planet out from under us. It would be a gateway action.
- 11.03.2023: Taking us precisely, diametrically, in the opposite direction we need to go to keep Earth livable.
- 04.03.2023: Sometimes climate activists may do something and you might think „that was stupid.“ But the stupidest thing of all is to do nothing.
Twitter – Februar 2023:
- 25.02.2023: Night run – crickets, geese, cars, and airplanes. No owls tonight, but nonstop airplanes. People still do not understand how much danger we are all in from climate breakdown, or what’s causing it.
- 25.02.2023: We need a federal climate information campaign – causes, impacts, solutions. It has been such a missed opportunity. It’s a question of priorities though – this administration has been more keen to expand fossil fuels and reduce gas prices than to address Earth breakdown.
- 24.02.2023: Late-night hosts will keep treating crazy weather as a funny joke to the end, but in reality it’s a manifestation of irreversible damage to spaceship Earth inflicted, knowingly, by the fossil fuel industry. They should bring on scientists and activists and discuss it seriously.
- 24.02.2023: Just as with scientists, entertainers can either help everyone stay asleep by giving them a comforting psychological path to not thinking about it, by acting like things are basically normal („bystander effect„), or they can lead and help society shift into emergency mode.
- 19.02.2023: People all saying “it’s unseasonably warm!” like that’s a good thing.
- 16.02.2023: Spring is coming much too early, and it adds an ominous note to the blossoms and birdsong.
- 16.02.2023: That said, sales of new gas and diesel cars should still be banned much closer to today than to 2035. The idea of waiting until 2035 for this only shows how incredibly far our society still is from jettisoning the lobbyists and accepting what a fucking emergency we’re all in here.
- 07.02.2023: Courage is accepting how bad climate and ecological breakdown is without grasping for false hope, while continuing to fight hard for a rapid social shift into emergency mode. False hope is an opiate, it reduces pain but also acts to block the rapid change we need to save lives.
- 05.02.2023: Climate activists, in the future we will not regret doing too much climate activism but too little. We will not regret taking too many risks but too few.
- 02.02.2023: Protecting a livable planet for the next ten thousand generations is more important than following arbitrary social norms.
Twitter – Jänner 2023:
- 29.01.2023: Scientists have a key role to play in saving what can still be saved, and I believe scientists should be speaking out and getting into good trouble much more than we are.
- 27.01.2023: „We haven’t had any snow this year“ is an increasingly common statement. It’s sad how fast the fossil fuel industry is permanently changing our planet and how most people just accept it.
- 24.01.2023: Flying is a bellwether for how society views the climate crisis. If the aviation industry is growing, it means we’re still not taking global heating seriously. As soon as society shifts into some kind of emergency mode, policies to rein in flying WILL be put in place.
- 24.01.2023: Scientists have a key role to play in saving what can still be saved, and I believe scientists should be speaking out and getting into good trouble much more than we are.
- 19.01.2023: When billions of lives are at stake, including the lives of people we love or even our own lives, then yes, risking arrest to try to stop that through nonviolent civil disobedience is probably „worth it“ for a lot of us.
- 19.01.2023: I am working on projections of extreme humid heat, and hopefully will soon be communicating the results publicly (and refining them over time). They are harrowing. All of this activism MUST be seen in the context of potential for future death and suffering.
- 18.01.2023: To all of you fighting for this Earth and for other people, against the rising tide of the careless rich, I love you with all of my heart.
- 17.01.2023: Your kids and grandkids will want to know if you got arrested for the climate.
- 16.01.2023: It is the scientific consensus that hundreds of millions if not billions of people will be forced to migrate due to climate change within the next few decades. A lot of those people will end up dying. The geopolitics of a billion climate migrants. Let that fucking sink in.
- 16.01.2023: How do we take power from the ultra-rich and create a system defended against self-dealing in government and the rise of robber barons? If you figure that out you solve pretty much everything, including climate change.
- 16.01.2023: It’s dystopian that as our planet overheats, there is already policy discussion about moving heavy outdoor labor schedules from the heat of the day to night, while both parties still support subsidizing the industry that is causing the planetary overheating in the first place.
- 13.01.2023: People don’t understand how hope works. It doesn’t come from downplaying scary truths or from false optimism. Everyone sees through that. Instead, it comes from hard work, from solidarity, from courage. Hope comes from joining together and doing something. Hope comes from action.
- 11.01.2023: They may not all realize it but the people who hate on and criticize climate activists are the reason we are stuck as a society in climate inaction as it gets hotter and hotter and more stuff breaks. Support climate activists.
- 11.01.2023: With global heating as bad as it is and rapidly worsening, we need policies to reduce and then eliminate the fossil-fueled aviation industry. This would have a co-benefit of motivating aviation creativity (e.g., airships). Today’s aviation industry contributes to climate death.
- 10.01.2023: We need to shift into climate emergency mode. Soon, everyone will desperately wish that we had. Those who think there is no problem or that we are handling it sufficiently are fools.
- 10.01.2023: Dear climate change skeptics: You were wrong. End of story. Irreversible fossil-fueled global heating is all around us and the chaos it is causing is clear, undeniable, and getting worse every year. It’s time to swallow your pride and start helping.
- 09.01.2023: At this point I think it’s kind of pointless to dichotomize global heating and biodiversity loss. They’re the two sides of Earth breakdown due to the reckless pursuit of growth.
Twitter – Dezember 2022:
- 19.12.2022: The way governments are trying to crack down hard on climate activists is basically a form of collective suicide. It’s incredibly stupid. Now is the time to rebel.
- 16.12.2022: Society has a big decision to make: either to listen to climate scientists and protestors, or to ignore and discredit them as the fossil fuel industry and billionaires would prefer, thereby delaying action and irreversibly locking in a much hotter future.
- 15.12.2022: It’s incredibly difficult being a climate scientist in this society, at an emotional level. We can see the future, it is terrifying, and we are being ignored.
- 13.12.2022: Every time you hear an airplane, it’s the sound of people choosing to ignore that there’s a climate emergency. If you still fly but it doesn’t feel right anymore, advocate for a systemic end to the aviation industry. This would help shift society into emergency mode.
- 13.12.2022: It’s cool there’s a free fusion reactor in the sky that shines for everyone and we didn’t even need to build it.
- 11.12.2022: We could end fossil fuels and animal agriculture much more quickly if doing so wasn’t manipulated and blocked and delayed at every turn by those rich people. Indeed maybe we’d essentially have done so by now.
- 11.12.2022: What humanity is currently doing to the Earth, basically just so that a few very rich people can get even richer for a little while, is absolutely, unequivocally, the height of stupidity.
- 04.12.2022: If we ended industrial animal agriculture, there’d suddenly be more than enough food for everyone, we’d essentially end animal cruelty, no one would die, and we’d take a huge bite out of the climate and ecological emergency. We could do this basically overnight.
Twitter – November 2022:
- 17.11.2022: If thousands of scientists started protesting, including senior climate scientists and civil disobedience, it would absolutely change the game.
- 15.11.2022: The immediate path to minimizing the risk of large-scale collapse is to end the fossil fuel and animal agriculture industries as quickly as possible. We are currently doing neither.
- 14.11.2022: When „leaders“ do the opposite of what common sense based on science indicates, there’s a problem. In this case they lead us into danger, and scientists have a responsibility to speak and act out. To me it’s no fun, but responsibility usually isn’t fun. At least it’s meaningful.
- 14.11.2022: I don’t think there should be any temperature target. People are already dying and the fossil fuel industry has already caused severe, irreversible damage. I think the goal should be to end the fossil fuel industry in the Global North by 2030 or faster, on a binding schedule.
- 11.11.2022: If thousands of scientists started stepping up into civil disobedience instead of just dozens it would be truly game changing for saving Earth.
- 11.11.2022: We’re on the right side of history, but it feels like we’re losing badly. We need reinforcements. Civil disobedients and others.
- 11.11.2022: Today I was arrested for the second time trying to increase public urgency about Earth breakdown along with about 80 other scientists and many others. I was released and I’m fine, but tired. We worked very hard for weeks.
- 09.11.2022: One of the key leverage points I’ve been pushing on for years is to get the media and other scientists to speak and think about climate breakdown with far greater urgency. The public would be terrified if they understood, and this public urgency is what will drive real action.
- 07.11.2022: I owe it to my two beautiful boys and to this planet that I love so dearly to speak and to act as clearly and as forcefully as I possibly can to stop irreversible Earth breakdown: to end the fossil fuel industry, to end the animal agriculture industry, and to end billionaires.
Twitter – Oktober 2022:
- 16.10.2022: World leaders are still ignoring climate scientists. You should be terrified by this.
- 16.10.2022: To all the people saying „what odds, we’re already truly fucked,“ my response is that there are very, very different levels of „truly fucked“ and we are absolute fools if we don’t fight as hard as we fucking can now to save whatever can still be saved.
- 12.10.2022: No one *wants* to do climate disobedience. It takes tremendous courage; it is a tremendous risk. We do it as a last ditch attempt to stop the irreversible destruction of Earth’s climate and biodiversity which civilization depends on.
- 29.09.2022: Three key things EVERYONE needs to know:
- 1. This is still just merest beginnings of climate breakdown
- 2. It’s irreversible, best we can do is halt it at whatever level it gets to
- 3. It’s caused by the fossil fuel industry, which has been lying and blocking action for decades
- Let each statement sink in. Each is absolutely true. Then become a climate activist – link up with people in your area. We need all hands on deck. The only way out is through a surge in grassroots climate activism including civil disobedience. We need a billion climate activists.
- The first step is to halt the damage by ending fossil fuels and animal agriculture. So far, I do not see a plausible way to reverse the damage, and I think there are good reasons not to expect one. But at this point I would be wildly relieved if we halt it, because so far…
Twitter – Mai 2022:
- 20.05.2022: When there is not enough food, when all your money means nothing, you will wish you had listened to the climate activists.
- 17.05.2022: The two climate impacts that terrify me most are extreme humid heat and global food scarcity. I’ve been feeling this and saying it for years, but it’s intensifying faster than I expected.
Anmerkung der NiG-Redaktion:
Falls du keine wichtigen Beiträge oder Termine von uns verpassen willst, abonnier doch bitte gerne unseren Newsletter! Er kommt unregelmäßig und nicht zu häufig – versprochen. Oder schau regelmäßig in unseren Veranstaltungskalender.
Wenn dir gefällt, was wir auf dieser Plattform tun, nämlich bereits seit 2017 über Nachhaltigkeit, Umwelt- und Klimaschutz zu informieren, dann unterstütz uns doch bitte auch finanziell, um unsere Website in dieser Qualität und Fülle weiterführen zu können – uns hilft jeder Beitrag!
Verein „Nachhaltig in Graz“
IBAN: AT20 2081 5000 4200 1552
Verwendungszweck: Spende/Sponsoring (Mehr zum Sponsoring hier)
Du kannst dir auch gerne unsere kostenlose App aufs Handy laden, damit kannst du Informationen, Veranstaltungen und vieles mehr entdecken: App Nachhaltig in Graz